Re: [CBQ] Re: Q 4600

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Q 4600
From: rgortowski@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 10:51:18 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1381071079; bh=dzJ4z2/Lnk/c/FKuG+UshuAmLzDRM4rPRy/p+YIkQOU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=ow9XlZOWaZ4I0ysMzrEFdUGr3i54ir6q3PLLcpycoX6QZZ6qqHtZFjS1vA4gZZQST3TEt2mcIWSPgWbZ0trnOL+OC/jYg4z3SluJYkylIFunoSnxF3Qzoi8W5zZRQDCzHyJXrkK0T+0TTatxd+YwBpCr0Ns3Pu4bQ4r/QA+QqIE=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Bill,

These cars were built in 1935 as new cars for the North Coast Limited.  There were six of them - NP 1300-1303 and Q 4600-4601 - built by Pullman Standard (Lot 6466.)  They were trying out a semi-streamlined style and rode on four wheel trucks.  The streamliner craze was just starting up in 1934 and this was an early attempt to improve the looks of the heavyweight cars, with sealed window, flat roofs and four wheel trucks.  Successful?  You be the judge!  After the NCL was streamlined, these cars were put in the equipment pool and the two Q cars were used in various assignments.

These cars were similar the the semi-streamlined Luxury Coaches that the GN and Q used on the Empire Builder starting in 1937.  There were 12 of these (two per consist) and they were numbered from 938 to 949.  These had a flatter roof (though not as flat as the 4600) and sealed windows, but they still rode on six wheel trucks.  these were used up until the 1947 streamlined Empire Builder was launched.  I'll see if I can come up with a photo of this.

Rich G.