Re: [CBQ] New book just out...."Burlington Northern Railroad BRANCH LINE

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] New book just out...."Burlington Northern Railroad BRANCH LINES The Nebraska Experience
From: "Dale Reeves" <drale99@roadrunner.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 14:31:37 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1371839493; bh=VQ9+sAl1GsxriUmMQ8A1BZ7OCSSsbLouwj1u4ZjDNWg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:X-Cloudmark-Score:X-Authenticated-User:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ZOJOwiSlaHsrHtL3+IWm2/DaAkmiptagNgtujOKO9cf41aqF7+gyrh1INuVAaR950HFg+bO+OgBMluvwKwd4Dx136hwkR6mX3AkEZpQK5OVAI1lJHEjrg45763jX/QXXQEiaN6V7cmFmuj1+BekE0grGleVe5kwIpslxrb+3rtw=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
 Hey Pete!  Your book blows my mind.  I lived in Elyria ('33-'35), Wolbach
(42-45) and Palmer ('45) on the Aurora-Burwell line.  I worked on the
section gang (damned hard work!) at Palmer while waitng for my orders from
the navy in '45.  I was born in Fairmont ('27).  My grandmother, aunts,
uncles, & cousins all lived in and around Norman, where I spent much time
visiting.  I have vague recollections of riding a passenger train from Clay
Center to Norman.  I recall the conductor calling the stations (believe ir
or not) as we travelled along this line.  I also have a vague memory of
arriving with my mom and brother and sister on a passenger train in a snow
storm at Elyria, where we were to live upstairs in the depot.  My dad
married my mom when he was agent at Clay Center ('26) and she was a
stenographer at KMMJ (where Robert Tailor started his carreer, and was there
at the time).  My grandfather, a swedish immigrant, died being run over by a
train as he stepped out from behind a grain elevator onto the tracks at
Norman in '29.  My dad worked all over the Lincoln Divison  on various
branches from the early twenties until '56.  I rode the way car (on a pass)
from Palmer to Aurora on my way to take my navy exams in Kansas City  in
'45.

I wonder if it's possible you knew my dad.  He was agent at Sutton when he
died in 1956.  He would have been active in the station there throughout
most of '55.  His name was Roland B. Reeves.

The book adds knowledge I never had about what actually happended to those
branch lines.  I had lost track of much of it after getting our of school.
Like so many of us, I lost interest for awhile, and in later years have
tried to pick up the pieces.  How I wish I could go back!  Thanks for the
memories,      Dale Reeves