[CBQ] New Walthers Proto GP20

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] New Walthers Proto GP20
From: Rick Keil <rkeil6721@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 06:27:40 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1363951661; bh=zG2FbEicxrSplsgs0sa0rchdhap/9nOuOxgdMZ4oOZE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-EIP:X-Originating-Email:Message-ID:To:Importance:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=JQo+INp/5h5Erp/KaD1XueNisHK0KCSrxMqT5iXH0w03I4G+8rkBxx1UyTE6e47jzbqC6r7a9Fc0bpkZaV59m8I3HYd7wIsjOV6udXKNrARdaUwMLjXTUc2fwhBpraxgijKGk41mTQN7GlKDnod+ebDa9YiT+od48GemrZHyPLY=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

All

Just wanted to pass some info about the new Walthers GP20 with the updated tooling.  The model is beautiful and sounds great, IMHO, even though I've never heard a real one.

It does have one issue I want to pass on to the group.  Walthers devised a clever way to keep all the lighting mounted to the frame, the shell can be taken off without worry of pulling wires or worse, trying to gett all the wires back in when putting the shell back on.  To get the LED in place for the Mars light above the windshield, they mounted it directly to the decoder and there is a white piece of plastic hold the LED.  Unfortunately, the plastic is right behind the windshield and really detracts from an otherwise great model.  I removed the shell and painted the plastic black, it greatly enhanced the appearance.

To get the shell off, take the two screws out of the bottom of the fuel tank.  That will uncover the two screws just behind the "fuel tank" weight, these will release the shell from the frame.  Don't remove the screws in the frame right next to the couplers, these hold the weights only and won't inhibit the shell coming off.  Actually, removing them will make taking the shell off more difficult.  Trial and error is a great teacher!

The other thing I am going to change is the emergency light.  When the Mars light is on, it glows thru the emergency light too.  A little putty behind the emergency light and a new red lense should do the trick.

I will mention that it has three other things I found.  Wrong MU stand (double instead of single), a slight gap where the nose meets the cab and the rain drip molding over the cab window.  However, I am pleased with the model and can't wait to run the pair at an upcoming show.

Ricky Keil
Omaha, NE