[CBQ] Re: Modern Locomotive Roster and Numbering system

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Modern Locomotive Roster and Numbering system
From: Val Nelson <valrnelson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 09:14:31 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1363011288; bh=kOG0HoEK++pmOq05NF2Rqo7e9nKytol+Xmixo3VI/78=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:User-Agent:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=RmnodymoonORA9zkn0xbL+8SwVujR1iZL5QwSenSECZNVU8+zWcYJw5ZLeIrpouB4KYWVJTiXRUXfgF1Q7XURotOtc54tGpUjwOqhUmsqFYvLI47fCZi4Ad5Um5QnZ1n2dFrvRhigVUBehchATkLxkKA0/GOyraOEHcbyV4fHRQ=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Regarding the question as to why Athearn and Tyco did the silver w/freight strip on their F-units, to me, the answer is obvious.  It was simple marketing -- the silver simply looks better than the grey.  And you can't really blame Athearn and Tyco for using silver because the Burlington waycars were painted silver, too.  By painting the locomotives the same color as the cabooses, you had a matching set.

Frankly speaking, I always thought that the silver looked better.  Furthermore, in bright sunlight, the prototype's light-grey almost looks kind of silver-ish.  So, you really can't blame them for taking the path they did, wrong as it was.  And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bachmann or some other manufacturer use a light grey at one point on both F-units and cabooses?  I remember how unappealing the models looked.

Then, there is also this:  Can you imagine the load of questions and criticisms they would have received, had they used the grey instead of the silver?  They would have been constantly dealing with that because ignorant people would not have understood about the prototype's color.

Lastly, I imagine that the mismatched bookends might not have sold very well in non-Q markets.  The reality is that the silver F's did sell well and are actually still sought by many.  I have a new ABA set of Mantua (Tyco) F-units and people often offer to buy them from me.
--
-Val

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:45 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Cy Svobodny" ctsvobodny

Years ago Athearn  painted some F-7's red & dark gray.    They looked like a bad dream.   Granted their usual silver w/freight strip was always incorrect but Tyco did it too.   They both could have used a very light grey instead of silver and I don't know why they weren't challenged to do it correct back then.