[CBQ] Re: CB&Q Gas Electric Question

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Gas Electric Question
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 20:34:35 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1359858879; bh=WSMJdM4+j01sHwGA590SdUkgbgb2OsJDPu+J7+PC2s0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:To:References:Message-Id:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=fudVSarwOJJIkpNaP+GAX125q3jeIwne7yrBRVoUqa/dTbhGcJI5RPWUMFAQxEgHG5Q0GnF7wIPYMmMJwmNl9roS9WNOcFOpSSYJ9MNkJcgIKtQDeQaDn7XX6v2Nns+yzfeMX7KJgqsX1mLAqhE9AAYbizgirIxD/IVh1RZIpRo=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Ken,

I have to disagree with you. I have two relatively close up views of gas-electrics nos 9844 and 9845 in 1942. In both photos, the shutters between the front cab windows are wide open. Enlarging the photo slightly, clearly shows a radiator fin structure behind the shutters. I suspect there was a expansion tank mounted on the underside of the ceiling. The portion of the roof that curves back behind the headlight appears to have vents on the side. I don't believe there was a fan used on the G-Es I think the air flow was strictly the movement of the car and convection. The pipes at the top most likely included a vent for for the system ( the G-Es probably did not have pressurized cooling systems when they were designed in the 1920's. Automobiles in the '20s did not) and a pipe to fill the system. There is also a dual air horn arrangement and a bell on the roof above the engineer's position. BTW, by modern standard, the cabs of both the G-Es and the early shovel nose Zephyrs, were crude, hot, noisy and cramped. Even post WWII cabs were a vast improvement. The engine and generator sat adjacent to the crewmen with no separation. From a fan standpoint, there really wasn't any room for the mechanism.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO