Re: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Gas Electric Question

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Gas Electric Question
From: Kenneth Fleming <kf5632@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 21:18:59 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1359857942; bh=AoEkEbGYipyxdAp6Qtb1ON9q/mEoTHEjroZ138gk8gc=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=HUSDZZscBmSKvXBmMZJ1Um7VhbElRFM8j/1vYK8jkEEUlZrOa5GLYQ4Ekq/XHKRmBt7AbiOl2hev4V7ngyIfBm/5zK8ArZiygVND9S7ZL6iQjZs9YwHTE8FtOwJfVonYSQ3NbEdlUnkgCSjxFg0xbz9dtAc1a3aZj+JCgJq5TZs=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Jack,

My guess is those pipes are the air cooler.  As you know as air is compressed it gets hot and thus requires cooling.  Steam locomotives had the same basic pipe type cooler under the running board (sometime on both sides) near the compressor.  As Gas Electrics were an early design, so was their air coolers.  As for the radiator, it was behind the front grill (as I remember).  Its been sixty some odd years since I watched the "Puddle Jumper" at the Sheridan (IL) depot.  The motor car on the Fox River Branch was know as the Puddle Jumper. I liked to see the flames coming out of the stacks as it started moving.

 As a historical note, my father's first uniform job was as a conductor on a motor car  Around 1922, as they came around a curve entering Spring Valley (IL) they ran over an 18 month child playing in the sand between the rails.  My father covered the body with his coat and then walked to town to report the accident.  We visited the site in the early 50's and it was a blind curve.