Re: [CBQ] Re: Official Correspondence

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Official Correspondence
From: LZadnichek@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 14:12:38 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1359573161; bh=RBTxgdZ+g1LMPE6Kg02wLtTaRAYweg8fhwq/9qMMs4E=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Full-name:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=4w3cYAdTfNt1jl8HC//KmPSzu6Niwlo503NGrD2dpwNB3RfYYkrcGpB1XzLL3FrOCmBXIrfZ8g7qZM1JD/DP917d5Bx+4Fw4Q7GN4gjdx2CRDPYvY2t+3DG8i1fO/+5gkR/xJi/XuKKbEBkRpx/Y6wrbZgPDlwpOZOu1F7fSPbg=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Bob - Yes, you're correct. It was a duplex with an ornamental silhouette of a 4-4-0 hanging from a light post in front, so that must be the Potarf home. Indeed, the home was in Western Springs and not Clarendon Hills as I had earlier thought. Thanks for the "nit-pick" so we can set the record straight. For those in the Group who may not know, Bob and I date back to railfan days together at Downers Grove High School in the early 1960s. We were both best of friends (still are) and charter members of the long forgotten Brotherhood of Railfan Trainmen that was founded by Dave Briggs. Some number of Q railfans in the Chicago area were members and if any Group members besides me, Bob and Bill Barber belonged to the Brotherhood and took part in its "adventures" on 5632/4960 fantrips, please hit the keyboard and identify yourselves. We'd like to reconnect. Bob and I also share wonderful memories of our Saturday trips to Northwestern Steel & Wire at Sterling, IL, to see and photograph the last of the Q steam power being cut-up and the ex-GTW 0-8-0s that were working the mill at the time. Following high school, Bob went to my dad who was Chicago Division Supt. at the time and told him he wanted to work for the Q. I've leave it to Bob to post his reminisces of being hired-on, all the operating department characters he worked with and his long career in the cab that concluded as an Amtrak engineer. Bob talks about the Q's brief fling with GE power. My dad told me that the reason behind Mr. Potarf being instrumental in buying U Boats was to send a message to EMD that the Q was not a captive customer and could and would buy modern diesel power from a non-EMD source. Obviously GE must've made the Q a one heck of an attractive financial offer to get them away from EMD. I think Bill Barber might also be able to shed some light on this interesting subject, or, perhaps, Hol Wagner can. Although Bob hated the GEs (and according to him just about every other Q engineer hated them, too), they did look GOOD in Chinese red, certainly had a different sound than their EMD counterparts and added a little variety for railfan photographers of the era - Louis