Re: [CBQ] Switcher Assignments

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Switcher Assignments
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 05:55:13 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1359035716; bh=JAx21ozegUDYke8YYdKrenRPlaVqBtQaY1jQR+Q24no=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=woYGINq9+U4bV/58ppMvQDZIUtN8IR1AoY9wzLKZxhOX3G9KH9iFTQ3xr5FaGvxx+DmccFsvYkGLXUVG8EYsdYUA19BVX8VvV3B3Rn2wZgo34un0mk4lX3sHpi4kxsheYCWcu2cQGHfH8XMfqGbidI6ujLePkdpMrSm/bS9TuiQ=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Locomotive assignments were made on the basis of need for power.  ie.  the figured amount of switching or tonnage to be handled.
Working the Asst. Chief Dispatchers job in Cicero you had to figure out the tonnage of a train out of St. Paul vis the power they had assigned to the train with a chart(not sure if I kept one or not) and then call the power desk (which was in St. Paul by then) and tell them you were cutting power off one train to enable the train to make it over the roller-coaster C&I.  If no power was available sometimes we would have to set out cars at Savanna or send the train "Around the Horn" via Denrock and Mendota.  One thing with a switch engine was they might not be able to make speed(no need for on a branch) but could PULL tonnage and a primary reason they were used on the coal branches in Northern Illinois
Pete  Using nicknames is still ok isn't it.
Steve in SC