RE: [CBQ] Big Rock IL - Curve 50

To: "cbq@yahoogroups.com" <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Big Rock IL - Curve 50
From: GLEN HAUG <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 14:12:12 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1349212335; bh=brLWIRgQVyafpG8A1Vq8UV5r3mrP/ZWqIVkDsaXG+oo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=PakHxPVK/vHZ4u7wuwvgwc6edKyXoTWbGr4dLBPgkVv9V7rSI1W8wgsk3A/xuljtXtL0KE4dXp0gBOwfrX4OVq42D7i2YTjY+VM0FVdiYKkBeDFQAPWmz0rPlntod6nT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Michael:

The original mainline was concentric with, and at normal track centers with the siding.  In 1937, curve 50 was reduced from 2 degrees (I think, I'm not looking at all my records) to 1 degree.  This resulted in throwing the mainline inward (north) from it's original location.  I'm sure this was in conjunction with raising the Zephyr speed to 90 mph.  A speed above 75 or 80 is not attainable on a 2 degree curve, without 6" or 7" superelevation, and I'm not sure the Q elevated above 6" anyway.  The Q evidently opted for the curve reduction rather than have a speed reduction in otherwise 90 mph territory.  The siding was not relocated, presumably because it was not necessary.

If you have a CB&Q alignment chart, you might be able to see if a curve reduction is shown at this location.  The Q referenced many line changes and curve reductions in their alignment charts, but I have noticed that some are not shown if the reduction in distance was less than .01 mile.  The curve reduction at Big Rock resulted in only a 13' reduction.  My recollection is that changes in mileage of .01 mile or greater were reportable to the ICC, so this may have been the criteria for showing them on alignment charts.

Glen Haug