Re: [CBQ] Lowrie, Missouri

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Lowrie, Missouri
From: archie hayden <klinerarch@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 13:31:11 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1338229873; bh=YZHTzf3lU1i3dQ7Lvi0aWXovs9Zf4pslaMHc180jsVY=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:Message-Id:To:In-Reply-To:X-Priority:References:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=ozJ5xMQ4fpY7ZhZpooCWOh9MKbQXXoWf7Yekm0ZOXaRm3i6E89V9VKvsnxIAHP1EyH83QLcjD0y5AHDWiwIwFUk9XmtsNDPM0WLf+UQtyjslkWevW9xwmy1gxn5hgEKX
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Duncan,  You are correct in the fact it was just a siding .  TJ Lowrie was chief dispatcher of the Hannibal Division in 1900.  Phil was describing the  spur that went to the gravel pit off of the siding south of LaGrange.  This pit was where the gravel train got their sand and gravel when it was running during the warm months when the state was building hiways.  There was a scale out at the pit and 3 or 4 tracks for empties which were loaded by the gravel company.  In the 40s the depot at Taylor burned and a coach was brought in to serve as a replacement,  Later on this coach was taken out to the gravel pit to serve as a bath house.  It was still there in 1967 when I went into the Marine Corps but was gone in 1970 after I came back.  Many of the depots also disappeared while I was doing this tour of duty.  My 1943 ETT shows a 80 car siding at Lowrie plus other track capacity.  By 1953 it was cut down to 45 cars and now there is nothing there.