Re: [CBQ] Lowrie, Missouri

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Lowrie, Missouri
From: Philip Weibler <pawnbaw@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 08:38:15 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Duncan Cameron <d.cameron@sympatico.ca>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1338219498; bh=WTdm5iEt6cUcftqUhr2rPP+2XZjm2UBAVer7DbrAUBI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:To:Cc:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=Jht/UZ7pi9Ki9qSZu7WfOWAnnnb5RCxl91Vk+ewAmHELI/wXzkTFmN75DBJ2L7AvTnkHYEsZWe/CkuGBHVN3SJnajjA0ULolWIDtXKZxHZoozwywhTy1HOQhUuadOHfT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hello Duncan -
Let's give this a try:  Using the DeLORME Atlas & Gazetteer for Illinois (sorry, I don't have Missouri yet) and looking on the Missouri side of the river we find - less than two miles south of La Grange - a spur track going west and then hooking and going south. This spur appears to be a little over a mile long. The cartographic symbol for 'gravel pit or sandpit' appears twice in this area. This location is now the 'Wakonda State Park'.  My guess is that the spur track and the working pits are gone, with the 'diggings' allowed to flood to create a wildlife area. Suppose we'll have to make a trip to Quincy when it cools off a little.
ETTs for that line dated into the early 1950s should have some notation about that spur and a mainline switch. Seems I remember, back around 19aught53,  talking to a crew that was going to run up from West Quincy toward La Grange with ballast cars.  FWIW               PAW