Re: [CBQ] 1899 Track Elevation Western Ave to Cicero and Interlocking at

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 1899 Track Elevation Western Ave to Cicero and Interlocking at California Avenue
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 19:48:42 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1337568526; bh=b0EaXqWQCzvvQ+5kyxSAF1EQHOa5UeNFppHSrHRtHzA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=qaWH1U+Qj5b5tH8mASP8Kl29NIJwFFkonacKH4EGldn9cSHYoElDrF0hFVGXT0VzEHpsyFwBE5tRCnBj+M82Foe6ctL9D33lHwmb3pV4qg+9Gd1TrpGmhgOhcl68Pdyv
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Glen
I too have been looking for info on the Q and Concrete.  As early as 1904 they built a concrete arch bridge over Indian Creek just east of Plano.  They experimented and were an early user of concrete to replace timber in trestles and bridges with at least three plants which did pre-cast parts for use(Montgomery, Hannibal and Havelock)  in the mid-50's only the plant at Havelock was being used as most of the parts were already in use and did not need a whole lot more
"A Treatise on Masonry Construction" by Ira Osborn Baker a prof at U of I first published in 1889 is a very indepth study on that subject complete with plans for forms for the Chicago Elevation work by most of the roads( one of those rare books you stumble over never realizing you can use )
It was a fascinating time period when all the work was done at company expense and by company men to get the project done.  After the forms were in and the concrete poured and cured a trestle was built down the center and trains of fill were run over them to fill in between the walls.
A lot use to be in place and is today lost in history unless we preserve it.  Like the Aurora Elevation we wrote about in Bulletin 46 although the Sanborn maps of the era do show what is now there(double instead of the triple that was built)(( and the idea was to expand to 5 tracks wide))
Once I can get my library put together and some landscaping done all while trying to get a book finished up  I hope to get back to writing
Steve in SC