[CBQ] 1899 Track Elevation Western Ave to Cicero and Interlocking at Cal

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] 1899 Track Elevation Western Ave to Cicero and Interlocking at California Avenue
From: "zephyr98072" <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 21:43:21 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1337550206; bh=cRkSyDrzjIJJERAA/ZQqO4HqMIhu2xPKXgHmgq6wXIA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=WZ2mdnKRFKQnBiMNIDBdQwN288ez9IFA05L7w8eSqLBYvffAfCsRYTnMHJgZLWlwIW4/mumMwjiJXRBb6Oy9AwLdhaPK9Fnkx3LzABDd4ynIoGOTmMV/LMrVSpPM7Zgc
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
If you run across any information on the Chicago grade separations,
particularly west of Western Avenue in 1899, I would be interested in seeing
it, or learning the reference.

I am trying to learn more about the interlocking that was installed at
California Avenue (in 1888), and whether it was in fact at California Avenue,
or an old name for Kedzie Avenue interlocking.

In 1899, the employee timetables stop referencing the interlocking at
California Avenue, and start referring to the interlocking at Kedzie Avenue.  I
suspect that these were actually two completely different interlockings, and
the one at California Avenue was moved to Kedzie Avenue as part of the
requirements of construction of the track elevation that took place between
Western Avenue and Cicero.  All of the bridges in this segment were constructed
in 1899, so the track elevation had to be at the same time.

I suspect what happened is that it was deemed impractical to raise the grade at
the interlocking and keep it in service.  The interlocking was probably moved
to Kedzie Avenue after the track elevation was completed, say from Marshall
Avenue westerly, and then the California interlocking retired to complete the
track elevation back toward Western Avenue.

I have asked Rupert Gamlenz to be on the lookout for any information that might
be in old periodicals on this, but then I decided to post the question to the
entire list, in the event that others doing articles about other subjects in
the same area may have stumbled across any information on this subject.

Any information at all would be appreciated.

Glen Haug

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com