Re: [CBQ] Scanners

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Scanners
From: Jan Kohl <j.kohl@wildblue.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 06:54:35 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1335092087; bh=/bnEHVdvNvJyYm6bn4JczjPJFy2VuSe587SNJ5s6/2k=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Google-DKIM-Signature:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:User-Agent:To:References:In-Reply-To:X-Gm-Message-State:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Jt+n69IW/7DUJVCL2XhhrPn+bzdzTgPs1XFM3IjWqytN/sXroLuVK90L2wMLX+fbcx4CMqcSd+Q0b8nqtHmgsJTq45lhFhp6waTxCTE/H/1XUCkFWBsLnpV15mTAgfBN
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Oh, I agree with you for the most part, Randy...I've not demounted any of my
3,000 slides for scanning.  However, if you do get slides that need cleaned
(i.e. sat in a slide projector for any amount of time), it is difficult to
clean
them decently with the mount on, and then you're faced with the task of
spending
a lot of time fixing the dirt damage and possible re-creation of an area.

For that reason, I am considering demounting a few of them, as they have a lot
of problems that could only be corrected by removing them from their mounts,
properly cleaning them (use photographic cleaning solution) then re-scanning
them.

If I ever get up to a Burlington meet, I intend to do a class on photo/slide
preservation/archival, but Randy is exactly correct...if you have old photos,
do
not waste time saying "I'll get to them".  All it takes is one water leak to
ruin your entire collection.

Cheers!

Jan Kohl
castlegraphics.com