[CBQ] Re: Scanners

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Scanners
From: "qmp211" <milepost206@mchsi.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 04:17:06 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1335154628; bh=4h14zSvfIU+i9u/Z+GJDlA9z21Z4clX/DelAiNtCeb0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Qjzx4j5MvnOZnIlSWTH9wnhBViLf5jM9/F7NtYHfx8H50gu9dBIjx9Ax9k1oxpWX24yanu3l8GJIYVvCzK2curAhmx1AvQ5f5ECOK0h1m3TToYUqi3EOKwRFK9DTn/zu
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Jan & All,

The bane of scanners everywhere, Kodak cardboard mount dust. Some slides seem
to have 2 lbs. of the stuff inside. Every time you squirt air, another snow
storm. Never fails!

I use a Kinetronics StaticVac dust removal tool as the last step before
scanning along with their anti-static brush for the glass. StaticVac is a small
ion generator neutralizes the static and the enclosed fan pulls the dust into a
filter. Expensive, but works great.

http://www.kinetronics.com/store/staticvac1.html

New for about 1/6 the price and sometimes even cheaper on eBay.
Kinetronics Film Cleaner  - ebay  220800371414

When you try that demount you might want to try Lumina Scan Fluid for wet
mounting your film.
http://scanscience.com/Pages/lumina.html

Costs as much for postage from Canada as the product but worth every dime.
Works very well. The fluid will drive into the emulsion pockets and saves a lot
of retouching. I've tried mineral oil with minimal success.

You'll need a piece of anti-Newton glass or optical clear Mylar to sandwich the
Lumina and film onto the scanner's glass plate. They sell that too, along with
kits made for specific scanners.  Some of these things you can source locally
and save the postage like the Kimwipes EXL Wipes and mylar. Never use paper
towels to clean your scanner glass.

Randy

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com