[CBQ] Re: Steam Troop Train

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Steam Troop Train
From: "Jonathan Harris" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 17:18:52 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1334423958; bh=YeflhwGu1ttCzeuYuXbiwXSRP2b+GO1/59+OYaQhHiw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=dMfs2asmqtgabWR+vgMzqGNBb79p+vulvQ5wIp+lFKcwvCLtyxi2ZCehbVUwFKS4y4tmfEi9SoWcyOo+cZ4Rs7w9ZiALCfoO3jRjWUcQiTRcTiMdQxrn4i7LYL+lTs93
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Wonderful story, with cultural/historical significance far beyond railroading.
Goin' Railroading is a great book, btw, full of real nuts & bolts stories from
75 years on the C&S and its predecessors.

Burlington management took pride in having the only "diagonal transcontinental"
route, so it's not surprising that the C&S should have hauled many troop
trains. As for there being other better E-W cross-country routes, no doubt. But
the volume of traffic (human as well as freight) was so great during WW2, the
military probably used whatever routes they had at their disposal, whether or
not they were always the first choice.

Jonathan

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com