Fwd: [CBQ] Re: Stock Cars on the C&I

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Fwd: [CBQ] Re: Stock Cars on the C&I
From: herrick@krausonline.com
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 02:46:58 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1322621221; bh=9hVEU4xSJZWdg7lcg0WJCiulJ4z57oxi1yI+ZGo7P6c=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=V9fEk7IzQhoBcfOMJANHSua1FGuj2Po9+DsE+3o6ylZ1Ax90mOw5V1VbX3/I0roAMoU9J6I4i2YYX3NCCWvlHWHO7H93KuF+dgj/cGnPX5h1uKfDuaYx7k4cOfFeHLxm
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

An old fart should never trust his memory. Dug back in my notes and the
information about cattle fattening at Rochelle came from Russ Repetto, who as
many of you know, was a conductor on the C&I for years.

Russ talked about the heavy stock traffic in the fall. He recalled solid trains
of stock off the T&P--60 to 70 cars that were unloaded at the Q's stock chutes
at Rochelle, a job that took forever, he said.

Russ said the cattle were fattened adjacent to Calpak plant #110, which was
located on the north side of the main. They must have been shipped to the
Chicago slaughter houses in trucks, he thought. Russ also remembered a big
stock show held in Chicago in the fall.

I'd have to dig further in my notes to determine when Del Monte purchased
Calpak.

Bob

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com