[CBQ] Joe Douda

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Joe Douda
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 20:14:53 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1314148428; bh=w+tnTlHxkl5vqWmMocTz75vT06kzZ3CwCWjatgiTK68=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-index:Content-Language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=B4ldrf6YyqyYdBjX9NhulIVY7PQ92IeiiJnT3/rkjKQAic6qNoHFjDuqF8u+8BbTM93fYR29Q2A8cxXV+8aWSH/V6mDcIsIqhU9tdrFenZOJaVxbZNAFesnHVR3NBqzv
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
All-

It is with great sadness that I belatedly report the passing of noted CB&Q
historian Joe Douda.   Joe passed away in mid-July and I only learned of
this today.

Joe was a great compiler of CB&Q roster information, using his contacts
while he worked for the railroad to access accounting records and other
material not generally available to railfans.   He was a researcher of
locomotives and worked on builders lists for all the major and minor steam
locomotive builders as well as researching a main area of interest of his,
the railroads of the Black Hills.   His roster information was an integral
part of Bernard Corbin's "Steam Locomotives of the Burlington Route" and his
freight car, passenger car, maintenance of way equipment, and waycar rosters
are major contributions to Burlington History.

I first met Joe when Bernie Corbin referred me to him when I was starting to
research CB&Q waycars in the late 1960's.   A forty year plus solid
friendship  blossomed which extended to our families with regular
get-togethers as an excuse for Joe and I to talk CB&Q.    Due to his
deteriorating health and family issues we lost contact with him over the
last couple of years, although my wife maintained regular contact with Joe's
late wife's sister who was estranged from the family.

Joe will be sorely missed.   I hope he made plans for the rational disposal
of his records and that his children honor his wishes; he had much valuable
information that would be a shame if it was lost to the trashman.

Charlie Vlk

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com