Re: [CBQ] Speeder Shed.

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Speeder Shed.
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 22:43:31 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1311129825; bh=GSLEF1iCgDLRhlcyzPqfblAhhI6P0JXAU73LepM9Tc0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:X-AOL-IP:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=YRNs0wTP9CsOqM08xABkJveHKablXeCPIPM/HoHbQPF8HCl5MDx0RkcV/BVZt4+IfOyJ/Y/TAsZoKtVMzgoJMO1YJxIh/loDH4W8l/buG2bwrFB7wN8NIrqQtkV9Dbpp
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
You are absolutely right John...the first time I ever heard the term "Speeder"
was in the first series of the Hardy Boys books by Franklin W. Dixon THE TOWER
TREASURE.  The context was that the real thief who had robbed old Hurd
Applegate of his treasure in the tower was Red Jackley....an ex railroader who
escaped on his SPEEDER.  It is not a railroad term and its use marks the user
as a "non rail"...no offense but thats how it is.

I never ever heard any railroader refer to his MOTOR CAR as anything but a
MOTOR CAR.  "Car House and/or tool house is indeed the correct railroad term
for the building where a MOTOR CAR was kept.

Just by way of additional "confusing" information the first Zephyrs were
referred to as MOTOR CARS just following the heritage of the gas or diesel
electric passenger MOTOR CARS.  If you look at the ICC report for the 1939
collision of the Pioneer Zephyr and the engine of a local freight train at
Napier, MO there is a copy of a train order addressed to Train No. 21  MOTOR
CAR No. 9900.  Even into the 1950's diesel locomotives on the Burlington were
referred to as MOTORS.  That's the way they were officially referred to in
train orders.

Just follow the old grammer rule which says..."Context determines meaning".

Pete