Re: [CBQ] Shipping human remains by rail

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Shipping human remains by rail
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 16:10:30 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1307218247; bh=dUd/479FAmZllWJZA/+ga6Qd/7uxCKJdimO3Gfz9kvQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:X-AOL-IP:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=O84vX7nL0yp+LvEF7Ce2/baZtFpri0DkVIwV2XH+f9yar6LCsKtISYkWvm1xra7LHrEMXyoBuA5c09W2t9Ko76MjfgUFPlmt2HX9bPKklOf9GbL/zI3GMZzs84z89rw6
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dan

There is a picture "out there" which would be perfect for your
demonstration...Only problem is I can't remember exactly where I saw it..I'm
copying everybody you included in the hope that someone will recall it.

The scene was "down south"..probably in the 30's or 40's...showing the hearse
backed up to the depot platform with the undertaker and his helper standing by
while the casket was being unloaded from the baggage car.

This may have been in "Classic Trains or its predecessor Vintage Rails or
perhaps even TRAINS.

I'll begin a search, but it will striclty be by memory of where it is.....

Just to add to what John Mitchell said, there was a provision in the tariff
which provided for an escort to accompany the casket...I don't recall the
details.

On a personal note I have, on more than one occasion observed the unloading of
a casket at Langdon, MO on the CB&Q and the scene was just as depicted in the
photo mentioned above.

Pete Hedgpeth