RE: [CBQ] Doodlebug diagram books?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Doodlebug diagram books?
From: Bob <drgw18@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 10:50:25 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1306079431; bh=tyn0zPnDaPtyEU1/0UHnup9FUw89+7krG3nXkl/2QLs=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:References:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=plD5bYjjZVf0yGVBksCrLqqe55oOTPZ6HnkZlXUWKRmJ8nZYx9jQPyYLbUQGhZ0P6Oo/yrUHboZpkSZZAuUpyYfQPsFyU1bEIWnb26+Vu/Y77tw7najdMvH1HbpLlg/L
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Well.... it really depends on what you want.  For
determining the numbering concepts outlined in
the original question, the spreadsheet Rupert put
together is the best method.  If you want
drawings of the cars, you can obtain drawings of
Pullman & Standard Steel built cars from the
Pullman Library.  Doing so may negate repeating
mistakes found in other sources.  The caveat
there is that they are of the cars as originally built.

Drawings based on railroad diagrams are dicey at
best.  The diagrams were often produced from
templates that produced inaccurate
depictions.   And in some cases, the
discrepancies are obvious (where the data block
indicates one thing, and the diagram another -
often found with roofs, underbody accessories
(where depicted), trucks, et al).   There is one,
somewhat infamous example, of a manufacturer
taking a diagram and producing a model with an
arched roof, when in the data block (and in all
photos of the car) it clearly shows a monitor
roof.  The same thing goes for locomotive and
freight car sheets.   The diagrams are nice
places to start, but more research is needed to
get the true picture (so to speak).  Drawings
are, like photographs, snapshots.  They provide a
snapshot of the subject at a specific time and
place.  It is up to those using them to determine
how close the image is to their desired subject, based on more research.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com