Re: [CBQ] Railroad operations

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Railroad operations
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 07:56:44 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1299340607; bh=ZFaIVLN/K/H67Z0sM2AH6fOcYRtKF565V8bOKbOE8u0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=kUdr3abLxl5wGqzDRhBV2KTefV5uEvxY+tmTVgypgKWbIWM9wv/vIWkTc2dd1YmeuMx91C4+R7YGdVNdvOGBdMOyoAMV8D5srk9bzsTJ/KKczQMNFgheXuoylzyFswQo
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
After I responded to Leo's e-mail, a few more examples came to mind. The
reclamation plant at Eola is good example of how they recycled old equipment.
The Q operated grain elevators at various points and the stockyard at
Montgomery was essentially a large scale livestock operation complete with feed
mill. They had their own dump truck which was used to haul coal to the general
office building. They printed their own stationary. And while the legal
department is one place they employed outside help, there was an army of staff
lawyers. They also had a quasi-legal department, the claims department. I read
recently that the reason that the railroads employed non-lawyers as claim
agents is that they didn't want claim agents to be bound by the legal code of
ethics. Can you imagine, they didn't want them to be as ethical as lawyers!
Before anybody starts, I'm a retired lawyer. The Q and several other railroads
also had their own airplanes.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com