[CBQ] Re: Q E5 Units

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Q E5 Units
From: "Jonathan Harris" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 14:39:28 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1299335977; bh=7xKulQJFvinsfn51dPg1/a8Pj3APMdyfVtE3+tO8GRk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ne95BLL2zdmOeo3S1BlFX2VUJuQHqiUMAAiv+0BH6nZPtbEWJRmVnnMbveizF7VvSiQ4fOA4YjVqCgB7d+XVt15XAdg1EIiwpJs3Iwvb6SXUMqBo0MNGDoRiipsMLM9c
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John -

I believe the Q changed black to red nose stripes on their E units around the
same time they changed from Blackbird to Chinese Red for road switchers (and
coincidentally began painting smaller wooden buildings white instead of
red/green?around 1958. The transition took a long time to complete, and
individual E units may have lasted with black nose stripes for several years
afterwards, just as there were blackbird SD7s and 9s and their equivalent geeps
that also were not repainted for many years.

So the short answer is, if you model pre-Chinese Red, you want black nose
stripes. Even a few years into that era (ca. 1960), you're still probably ok
with black.

However, if you model too far back in the transitional (steam-diesel) era, then
you'll have to reckon with the issue of truck skirts. The E5s came with them
and they were removed at different points, but I believe some of them lasted
into the 1950s.

Do you have the Burlington Bulletin on E units? I believe all these topics are
fleshed out there, and well illustrated.

Happy modeling,
Jonathan

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com