[CBQ] Re: 9204 herald

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: 9204 herald
From: "thommack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:08:37 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1297861729; bh=jmQGip/icZ9bBZv7NaWAmpH3j5Roi9pJRHy+MLXbsrw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=V2GM03iKYHNGchvnZGgiJyeLK1T4w3lXs9Ba1r9XJcQKbPfxbr5iqfktV1z2aBsihxS2F+sAzplrcaY8cHaVlv+8uwSBYOiOk4ziWmo3R+87izEJAjtYvZnJ4SpXQsEm
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert,

Thanks for the information. Funny, but I got a "hint" about this unit from the
parallel post going on right now about the original VO1000 black paint schemes.
In Norm Metcalf's post from Hol Wagner about the solid black VO1000's, Hol
states:

As for the "Blackbird" scheme, it was adopted in 1940 and was first
applied to SW1s 9141-9147 and NW2s 9203-9204, though these units came
with the road numbers in Burlington Block Gothic instead of Railroad
Roman. The previous order of SW1s, units 9136-9140, came in the same
solid black scheme as the SWs and NW1s of 1937, with "BURLINGTON"
spelled out on the hood in Dulux gold Railroad Roman and the herald and road
number on the cab sides, again employing steam locomotive decals.

I thought, NW2 9204... that explains it!

The size of the herald is still interesting. Does anyone know if the large
herald came from an already used herald on freight cars, or was the first
iteration for diesel locomotives?

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com