[CBQ] CB&Q VO-1000 #9352

To: CBQ <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] CB&Q VO-1000 #9352
From: John Manion <railbass@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 20:12:57 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1297653181; bh=rJIfwAXTJHEscRf1u6Vwz+2fq4cXL55qq6TZzBFQb6w=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Google-Sender-Auth:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=lhSmyLw4gsK77TruUBG0pxHF/UZyPrveK0L7tieobHcOEJ4EAoPOXsKUUYQXZS0CNn6PY7ttAb8qlUAyAyDB1WJwSy5RhjU4nCiRL/p/I6fj5MZ1j9o69gSkkEzIlEcx
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
A couple of weeks ago, I had raised the question about the attached
photos of VO-1000 #9352, which appear to be builders photos from the
BRHS photo gallery.   Built in Dec 1943, the motor appears to be all
black with white lettering.   I am trying to find out what decals to
use on a Stewart VO-1000 to model this loco.

The "Everywhere West" and "Way of the Zephyrs" appear to be the same
white as on the blackbird paint scheme, which appeared later on these
units.   My main questions are about the herald and lettering on the
side and rear of the cab.   The Burlington Route herald appears to be
outlined in white and another color.   Charlie Vlk thought it might be
white and gold, as were on the steam tenders at the time.   However,
the color does not seem to have a tint to it, as gold would be, so I
am thinking it might be white and red, as on the blackbird scheme.   I
am also wondering if the numbers and initials on the cab are white, as
on the blackbird scheme, or gold, as on the steam engines.   Does
anyone know of color photos of these early units during the war?   Was
this unique to Baldwin units or did other early Q switchers come in
this scheme?   When did the blackbird scheme first appear?

I have most of the Q books, but I have not seen a photo of this scheme
in any of them.   Does anyone know of painting instructions for these
units?   Was this a scheme devised by the Q or by Baldwin?
- John Manion
  Denver, CO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com