[CBQ] Rochelle meat packing -Smells

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Rochelle meat packing -Smells
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 22:34:44 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1295667297; bh=i9TKUlZLvIEFBAehWARxeCKfHHLu3h/lTNyiUwaWOUM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-AOL-IP:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=dUSEqu9hxGKp1qx0eT97k8cY/WYqQPF+OwmDJRN66yui1gXtJffXNBSbFx0PhlbMiQKMUlJUDyyccCO7xyIsznpcphPEvywo7gdZ1F8XahnYS6sJsdlHvuPqZGick4o0
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Coming off the C&I with stock for the sheep yard it was nicer to have a
short train so you could cut off at the west end and x/o over there making the
 short shove to the Sheep Yard lead. If you had a long train you would
sometimes  go all the way to the tower to cut off and then out over the plant
eastward and  then all the way back to the sheep yard lead. On a cold or rainy
night riding  the lead car got uncomfortable hanging on the side. You never
knew when one of  the occupants might have a call of nature next to you
while you were stuck on  the side of the car.

The stock cars oftern had what we called"stem winder" hand brakes. They
were not exactly the best and also took a lot of cycles to pull the brake
chain  up tight. I always feared hearing that a one or two car s/o on the lead
ended up  down by the chutes because the brake failed. I usually tried to
find something  laying on the track to block the wheels on one car.

Working the Saturday night Aurora engine one summer we would spot any stock
 that came in and always had to check with the tower operator if we were
going  for an early quit to make sure no stock would arrive while we were
suppossed to  be available.

Back in the day stock movements were so heavy that extra engines would be
ordered to spend the shift at the Sheep Yard just spotting stock. The Lyon
job  would be available to spot stock in the days when that job spent most of
its  time at Lyon. But any engine in the terminal could be sent to spot
stock.

Leo Phillipp

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com