[CBQ] Repro/Cinderella/incorrect CB&Q items on eBay

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Repro/Cinderella/incorrect CB&Q items on eBay
From: Gerald Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:54:21 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1294862062; bh=ilH0ioqA1b54kt1FiyZ40FiqBAI884KjG0pmfl6cod4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=e3vxtm90FtsxiIY3Ft5YOFfTpySsjws48+l212rhoA+QhKDmuSKtKKJqnQeXv7pWF713UPcinpFru2jzt+6oCJKyzE55UdL9WBkvWzi4kwA2b8edSno+qdP3vs4OXrN+
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
We normally do not discuss Burlington eBay items but am asking this is a
generic way:

Would there be interest in having a sub-group that would discuss rare/unusual
items on eBay AND items wrongly ID'ed (for the benefit of newcomers)?

Examples of the latter currently on eBay:

An 1878 public TT (one of two Q publics known to have been repro'd)  Unless one
has some 1870's/1880's Q TT's in their collection it is VERY difficult to tell
some of the 'weathered' 1878 repros from the original.  (the other repro'ed Q
system public on eBay is late "20's via NRHS & marked as such; you will not be
fooled)

There is a steel whistle post said to be Q due to 'research' - not so per any
of the trackside diagram print books I've seen, old photos, etc.

There is a cup/saucer ID'ed as Spider Mums but it is not (honest error by
Seller who did have a copy of Luckin's reference book but did not read
correctly)

Etc, etc.

Also, a few Sellers like to use 'rare', "one-of-a-kind" for mundane items; some
of us know this but others may pay $20 for a $1 item.  rather see Q fans spend
$$$ for real value.

Also, there are 'cinderella' items: things never made by or for CB&Q but in
someone's imagination.  My attitude is if you want a shot glass with huge BR
herald and know its NOT real but are happy with it, fine BUT I hate to see Q
fans spend $$$ on what they think as 'authentic' (ditto for some 3 color enamel
watch fobs, etc).

Lastly, items that are truly CB&Q but NOT our CB&Q (referring to the implement
mfg) and others.  And perhaps too help for the widow/son/daughter selling Dad's
1901 employee TT's for $1 as she/he does not know they are worth more.  Some
groups offer 'estate' advice/jhelp to mbrs' families.

Your thoughts?

Gerald

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com