Re: [CBQ] Double Dr Box Car Question

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Double Dr Box Car Question
From: sartherdj@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 12:46:03 EST
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1294249604; bh=WmhND9B0kzKaodj3V369+iOIFtFCPAxR9ejo/9DE8l4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-AOL-IP:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-SENDER:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=PUnBN8w8aRwvhdmTHncBws9CY8nqZaAUmKw2/mw8f6wcH3mugLCUPnXUtoSnC7ZOe4Xru2JWmtlHBUnh/idsFW3yB4GKrJkA3bvBJw2JOdg2WmWig4i+QHVfswMPieln
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ray,

That is a great question. It reminded me that GN had similar box cars with
the combination sliding and plug doors.  I checked it out and referred to
my copy of GN Equipment Vol. 1, page 62 where I found the following
explanation of why GN had these dual door cars.   "The rationale for  the
combination plug/sliding door was to accommodate two different types of
-lumber and grain.  If a car was used to haul lumber or plywood the  plug and
sliding door could be opened to provide a 12' wide opening.   The wide opening
allowed enough space for a fork lift to load the car which  saved the
shipper time in the loading process.  If the car was used to  transport grain,
the plugged door would remain sealed and a grain door would be  used in
conjunction with the sliding door..."  While there is no photo  of either of
the
car doors open, but based on the caption explanation of  how the GN used the
cars, I don't imagine there was any sort of divider.   So essentially it
allowed the railroad greater flexibility and a dual use for  the same rail car.
 Seems that the "Q" would have had similar thoughts as  to greater
flexibility for freight car utilization somewhat based on the grain  rush and
steady
lumber markets.  Hope this makes some sense and helps to  answer your
question.  Interestingly enough, Front Range used to offer this  combination
door
model in HO Scale in GN livery some years back.

Later,  Dave S.   Tucson, AZ

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com