RE: [CBQ] Double Dr Box Car Question

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Double Dr Box Car Question
From: Gerald Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 10:34:29 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1294245277; bh=c2B902OurimaspymjZVfpzQlgUI9TxdU/z7gN2DN+Xs=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=hVK/mYtdlTAUWvN4rf2J1Ld5XHxfCR/j31lHTfT6rnXUYpZQFRL+P38jSnED0a/8qp7hHScjO2BYX6DxNnatgepRsE4WwK5p4ceBYcNIOeDbZUKkatafKBRRhcPNXCCh
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I cannot speak to the Q's reasoning but know from conversations with folks
working for carbuilders that other RR's & private owners in the "70's chose
combo doors (1 sliding & 1 plug) as the latter seals better if you have a load
that needs to be kept sealed from outside dust, etc.  Sliding doors, although
cheaper, become bent & 'out of square' by their nature & cannot be 'sealed' as
a plug can.  Also harder to open/close.  Thus if a large item, both doors could
be opened but if normal content, only the plug would be used which then sealed
better.
This subject makes me think getting someone who was with a major carbuilder
supplying the Q in the 50's/60's would be a good speaker for a BRHS meet if we
can't get someone who was in the Car Dept.

Gerald