Re: [CBQ] Arrival/Departure Times-Mileage offsets,etc

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Arrival/Departure Times-Mileage offsets,etc
From: ralph linroth <wcman8@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 10:05:14 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1292781925; bh=8Vuu2PeTSYbS8+EiIGih2phne8m223nGt7YX9g0Nv0U=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=sobhc6A8cD0Ml1pw+tVefPQ0ym5RY28iCjVuG0GZo3Hz/XUhqK1T73ex5ENeGBraxd/vuUILzKt3yCKPWc4cJDwjmnLKZLQIX1lQ5dlrFHcALeFAzsDLE5ngeiOe1bov
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi Leo and list.  In the Appendix of the Pea Vine book is a letter from BRT
President Kennedy to all Illinois lodges concerning who had rights to all
assignments both passenger and freight.  Concerning the Aurora and Galesburg
lodges it even specified which trains would be manned by each lodge.  The
Aurora
Lodge would have rights on trains 15, 2, 35, 36, 55, 56, 3, 6, 1, and 10.  The
Galesburg lodge would have rights on trains 29, 8, 17, 30, 19, and 14.

I was Galesburg Division Local Chairman from 1979 to 1991 and most of our
mileage equalization was with the Beardstown Lodge.  Around 1877 Beardstown
crews instead of running from Beardstown to Rock Island came to Bushnell and
ran
into Galesburg on the Quincy to Galesburg Main which required mileage
equalization of 29 miles each way on a round trip.   The mileage between
Beardstown and Galesburg was 72 miles and to compensate the Galesburg Division
for their 29 mile equity they were given one turn of the three in the
Beardstown
"North end" Pool.  The Conductor's Lodge gave up their position in the late
1950's because they were having to "force" the youngest conductor to that
assignment.  The trainmen's positions were kept until the early 1980's when our
lodge voted that if no one bid the vacancy from Galesburg, Beardstown would
keep
the position(s) until the next advertisement period.  Crew consist took care of
the rest as most trains became Conductor only.

Another equalization took place during the early 1980's when the Duck Creek
Power Plant was opened near Canton and the crews operated the unit coal trains
from Beardstown to Vermont and Vermont to Canton via the old Buda-Rushville
branch.  About once a year, the Galesburg Lodge would get a turn in the
Beardstown "North End" pool for about 3 months to equalize the mileage.  I
worked that runoff job for 3 years.  There was a seperate register book kept at
the Beardstown yard office for all crews to register their miles for each trip
to be used for equalization.

R. W. "Bud" Linroth