[CBQ] Arrival/Departure Times-Mileage offsets,etc

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Arrival/Departure Times-Mileage offsets,etc
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 11:54:23 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1292777684; bh=ZBgRDQDglSYg8tfJWHcBMrpk21Sx/i9h6J4u6KUcA78=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-AOL-IP:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=no8uuC9sg4epk6UPLcMEb18lLY9mHtStGDTizp58drU56e7FyZdSp04HqWgOXNtMYo4g1Uc4zoqvEpJ/5oX5bLDJ6p0NoLBtE/2jJjKKx+4XY1Yqvf6eLfdcsyz9ugop
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
W/o spending hours digging through the files for exact details,I'll
generalize.

The lodges would keep track of the miles run in interdivisional service.
Then from time to time one postion on the crew from the "visiting" lodge
would  be posted for bid by only  the "host" lodge. So for example a Aurora
brkmns  position on a passenger turn running between CUS and Burlington would
be
posted  only for bids from a Ottumwa division man. He would take the job
until the miles  had been offset.

Same methodology applied in many places and services. For example a
Galesburg Division man would work an Aurora job(if anyone was interested) to
offset the miles Aurora men had accumulated running "around the horn" from time

to time. I believe(though not totally sure) that if no Galesburg man was
interested in working an Aurora job for a period of time then the youngest
extra  list brakeman was "forced" to take the job. Forcing people w/in your
own  division was tough but interdivisionally made for real hardships.

These are the kinds of things and many others that the Local
Chairman(griever) got his monthly stipend to
handle.

I don't have the files for Ottumwa on how they divided the work between
East and West lodges. I can say with certainty from the Aurora files that for
a  while in the 50s or 60s the Aurora crews operated far beyond Burlington.

The discussion as to which lodge was entitled to which work would come up
from time to time and be resolved by the General Chairman. I was recently
thinking that this whole subject could be an article someday.

Leo Phillipp

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com