[CBQ] Re: FW: Morse Code: A Lost Language

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: FW: Morse Code: A Lost Language
From: "morrowjay" <jaygroups@jaymorrow.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 20:32:04 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1289939525; bh=vNOmdvfUeW3fuxNN8WSfuNnGEWTA9enDl/H4visgNVg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=tl3DxgDgJsIZujQM1MwbONTyx0txXtSHIzZpw6gzotEsxf6cNF16vRVsISPQA3ZGxKYiIRwWQn7CdijdwM4h9mtlBA0rk964Xuc4qPuopZpiiHQQPwUCSxRzCgSo8Q78
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
In the late 1960's I was a telegraph operator on the Ft. Worth and Denver
during the summers between college semesters.  I much preferred the company
phone, but could use telegraph if I needed to.  At that time it was part of the
job requirement.

Only a few small freight-only branchline depots did not have telegraph and
company phone.  Those were the standard communication tools.  The telephone had
a "push-to-talk" foot pedal.  The same telegraph circuits were common to all
depots.  There were no secrets!

Three of my most prized possessions now are the original telegraph key, sounder
and company phone from the Lubbock, TX depot.

Jay

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com