RE: [CBQ] Train Consist Info

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Train Consist Info
From: "Dave Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:19:21 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1288545560; bh=M6+W48/MSOlR2r9jTWghrHX334scx11lQJMS5dmQozg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:To:Message-ID:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:Importance:X-MimeOLE:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=QinFB9+QNHwYuGQdjY7ta3f18Hwtc/opU7eD5egui8Y8GQvPKs1HBLdxH2S49dj7Nxmlj9oXj22hFyOzotqJ+gke9iJXBdC1i+YreQhIZmD0uxeBwWhYQ1lKCoD7f/Gy
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi Rob,

I'm sure the folks on the list would be willing to help you with specific
equipment, but during that timeframe, it is not an easy task. By this time
on the Q there were very few "fixed" consists and specific equipment would
vary from day to day.  The passenger timetables tell you what type of cars
were available for each train, but not specifically which cars.  There has
not been a lot of coverage of passenger operation on the Q in the late 60's.

In the latter half of the 1960's you would have either rode the combined
Nebraska Zephyr / Kansas City Zephyr (Trains 11 & 35) or the combined
Ak-Sar-Ben Zephyr / American Royal Zephyr (Trains 3,7 & 55).  The NZ/KCZ
departed Chicago at 11:00 am, split at Galesburg at 2:10 pm and the KCZ
arrived at Quincy at 3:35 pm.  The ASBZ / ARZ was an overnight train that
departed Chicago at between 9:15 pm to 10:00 pm (depending upon the year),
split at Galesburg between 12:30 am and 2 am (again depending upon the
year).

By June of 1968, service to KC was stopped and Train 35 terminated at Quincy
and became the Quincy Local.

Now, knowing which trains would be appropriate, are you going to model the
train east or south of Galesburg?

Burlington Bulletin No. 22 provides information about the NZ and combined
KCZ.  The NZs, prior to January 21, 1968, were the 5-car sets, minus the
dinette/chair and drawing room/chair cars - after that, the articulated cars
were retired.

Mike Spoor's CB&Q in Color, Volume 4 has several photos of these trains.

I don't know if I've been all that helpful, but at least this is a start.

Dave Lotz
Pooler, Ga