[CBQ] Re: My First Fan-trip, Not one but two big steamers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: My First Fan-trip, Not one but two big steamers
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 20:16:41 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1280942910; bh=OGrR5CGwvelGc4uspQhV+DUKZjqmJ7WDGDeoS0xC34Y=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=od4iqBCoqiYCG7Vxyly5/kvFxG2aRxTpf1hJH8sSMChnT2vbwWPaF3DOVLm6RaMk/iap5jPeWZzsJcx2r7+sz8dLA70dOArbVzX+pz9j5Ct0AGXM0bWsGSc25sahggSy
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dave,

I enjoyed Glen's post, although I have seen it before on another
groups a year or so ago. I guess there is an advantage to being a
little older (not many though!). My first Q fantrip, or any other RR
for that matter, was with ten wheeler #637, S4 #4000 and GP7 #235.
The trip occurred on Sunday, 9/2/1956. #4000 pulled our train from
Union Station to Aurora where #637 and #235 took our train to
Streator, Zearing and back to Aurora. At Aurora, #4000 again took
over for a spectacular late evening run to Chicago. What a thrill for
a 13 year old. That trip only whetted my appetite and was followed by
many more wonderful Q fantrips as well as a few others on different RRs.

Later trips included S4s nos. 3001 and 3003, the first trip for
#5632, the 2-10-4 double header, of course, two trips with 5632 to
Denver and the D&RGW narrow gauge (one with #5626 between Lincoln and
Denver including a 120 mile cab ride on her at 80 mph), a trip to the
Twin Cities behind the #5632 (plus one aborted one), #5631's only
trip to Savanna and back and numerous trips with #4960 including her
first in Dec. 1958. Unfortunately, I did miss the #4955' and #5600
trip in 1955 and  #5618's only trip July 4th weekend of 1958. I also
never had a chance to ride any of the C&S trips.

Somewhere in my files, I think I have a few ticket stubs (you could
buy fantrip tickets at the commuter stations) and a number of fantrip
flyers, including the one for the 2-10-4 double header. Toward the
end of the Q fantrip era, I was in college and missed many of those
later trips, although we did chase a few of them.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com