RE: [CBQ] The CB&Q and the REA

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] The CB&Q and the REA
From: "Dave Lambert" <dave@dglambert.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 14:13:42 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1274984046; bh=T17vWRSQsEsrws4K1EEm6/lBz0jYQ//g7pBuCgeq++A=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:References:Message-ID:X-Mailer:In-Reply-To:Thread-Index:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=d0F6DWa+6fIJSBIfTwbgnWwtU4n0P7yi+hDc+oG0FvrCXh+du7OdUszrXunS0HG7USpaeZSAa1hO0blby00oRO+ByAgPaivxV4AxraINajDffjrlXyPrgUpineqza2nG
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Charlie,

You ask a good question.

My understanding of the possible answer follows:

Remember who owned the CB&Q. They certainly had something to say about the
ownership (or lack thereof) of express reefers by the Burlington.

Secondly, keep in mind that there were actually two competing express reefer
pools-the Railway Express Agency and Northern Refrigerator Car, a subsidiary
of Merchant's Despatch, and hence, of the New York Central. Both CB&Q owners
had cars in the REA pool until the mid-1920s. Around 1927, the NP withdrew
its cars from the REA pool after a mileage dispute and signed on with NRC
for coverage of its express reefer needs.

The Great Northern, on the other hand, was quite content with its
arrangement with the Agency-adding the GN 2200-series cars to the REA pool
as late as 1957. Two owners, two different views of dealing with express
reefer needs.

There seems to have been little disagreement, however, about the Burlington
owning or leasing express refrigerator cars. It was apparently felt
unnecessary. The Great Northern's involvement in the pool provided coverage
for the Q's rather limited need for such equipment.

You mention trains which carried express refrigerator cars. One of the major
users of this equipment 0n the Burlington was Train 29, The Fast Mail. Such
cars in the consist of this train were almost certainly carrying dry
(non-refrigerated) express-or even more likely, bulk mail. The Post Office
Department loved express reefers because of their excellent riding
qualities. By the late 1950s, only about 5% of the loadings of express
refrigerator cars required ice.

You mention express reefers from MILW, SOO, CRIP, WAB, M&StL, ATSF, GN and
NP, etc. You must be looking at fairly old photos to have seen some of these
cars. The MILW cars were never in the REA pool (although they "were
available" to the American Railway Express pool in 1919)-they were
considered too short (at 44-ft) and under-insulated. The CRIP, WAB, M&StL
and SOO cars were all leased from General American in the mid- to late-1920s
but were off-lease by the late-1930s or early 1940s. Very few such cars
(some MP, SAL and SOO) were still under lease by the end of WWII. The NP
cars were not pooled, as I mentioned, after the late 1920s and appeared
(infrequently) in their own trains as most were 44-ft cars.

SOO cars lasted into the 1950s but were not in the pool by that time.
However, seeing pooled GN 2200-series cars would have been very common on
Train 29.

So, the short answer to your question is that the Q's owners thought it
unnecessary for the railroad to own express reefers.

I find it very difficult to argue with that decision.

Best regards,

Dave Lambert

  _____