[CBQ] Re: Louisiana, MO Interlocking Plant

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Louisiana, MO Interlocking Plant
From: "bsrls" <bsrls@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:10:57 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1269367902; bh=e7VZvyZ+FIJaIPaY9ZjSB5rLFqvgk69iRrQ6Gwc5ej8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ZdqdFA8ap1CmKl7mVYmz2nBBO01zPwUra1o21eL9hMkvAJf1jhjRBtRHh0K/o+4OZvUVOkJfQu3oEJyi3eDMKvKGJvUDxozMwgckWKCrcC7CLMik7/jCerl3WXI6sa8C
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Jan,

Thanks for pointing these photos out to me.  The old saying that a picture is
worth a thousand words certainly applies here.  What I observe in these is this:

Both photos show a mechanical rod running south from the tower.  In the 1961
photo it appears that this rod operated the derail on the connecting track
shown at the lower center of the photo.  The concrete rod roller supports
appear large enough to have once supported one more additional sets of rollers
and rods, one possibly for the likely original northward CB&Q mechanically
operated semaphore home signal.  This latter rod would have been eliminated
when electric light signals replaced the semaphores.

Since there is only the single rod currently coming south out of the tower one
might conclude that the connection track switch is not controlled by the
interlocking machine, unless the switch was converted to an electric power
switch.

When originally installed it is likely that the tracks all had derails to
protect the crossing.  Additional rods would have been required for this
purpose but these derails with their operating rods would have removed decades
earlier.

The photos also confirm that this tower was a train order office for both
railroads.  I understand that the tower was manned by GM&O personel but I am
not sure which railroad owned it or how the cost were split up.

Some of what I am mentioning here is logical but requires additional
information to confirm.  I do hope more information does come forward.

Thanks!!
Bill Saenger

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com