RE: [CBQ] CB&Q interlocking plants in Wisconsin

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] CB&Q interlocking plants in Wisconsin
From: GLEN HAUG <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:03:25 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1262649833; bh=w0FeZz7vjOUxvN/KeDe/mFTvYzLOPPCCxK5D/sZBW3w=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=oSgvOPBkVgzq+rO9aBXHMksd3BSF3OshskpW/Q6f7NKV4sEmRqLSCIgksUCj8gzlJ6Mfg93wnKMvik0V6b1OtXuLU+pUjnMBPcQVNfC6p8r4xSs2rq61edAgLbYNdMXP
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Glenn:

Here is some more information that may be of some help.  This information is
from old volumes of the "Signal Engineer" and "Railway Signal Engineer",
located at the Barringer Library in St. Louis.

A mechanical interlocking was placed in service at Prescott on July 1, 1908.

In 1909, 24 lever interlocking plants were placed in service at Ferryville,
DeSoto, and Victory.  I'm not sure what this is referring to quite yet.  All of
these locations were still single track in 1909, and there was no crossing of
another railroad at any of these locations (so why the large number of
levers?).  At any rate, these locations were all double track by 1915, so these
interlockings may have disappeared by then.

In November, 1910, a 25 lever mechanical interlocking (subsequently expanded to
32 levers) was placed in service at a location referred to as North Junction,
described as a junction between a passenger line and a freight line, (Sullivan
Jct.)  There is no reference to an interlocking at Herrington, but one probably
existed around this same time period.  There is subsequent information from
1929 concerning the installation of a small remote machine that controlled the
entire territory from Herrington to Sullivan Jct. and eliminated both
interlockings.

There are no other references to interlockings in Wisconsin up to 1915.
However, in 1917, there are references to a new electric interlocking at
Crawford where there was a crossing with CMStP&P, and new mechanical
interlockings at Bridge Jct. (Ports) and Bluff Siding (Winona Jct.) where there
was a crossing with C&NW.  The Crawford and Bridge Jct. plants had 8 levers,
and were subsequently replaced with a 32 lever plant at Crawford controlling
both locations.

Glen Haug