[CBQ] Merry Christmas! (an odd request to Burlington)

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>, ROCKY CLOUSE <rockaay@aol.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Merry Christmas! (an odd request to Burlington)
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 12:34:12 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1261679661; bh=UAkbNpgx/UTECWMXMzXdx7LZjY4CdRs8JJH5XHcOZ4c=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=CBrHpmm7gipr6tMQPrUw84J+ZwgNsIAYfkI7QgNiPVu8R6O7jRtc/JtSKpibf2+bLz+Ih2mWusTG1dd4WyVQIFRK8G6q3LH/5G1t96LCXCQwxY7p+iYDAzFNVuKxwxW3
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
  From the estate of Fred Clouse, LONG-TIME Gen. Passenger Agent for the
Burlington on Lines East ending with BN in Chicago

  The following postcard ended up in his office @ 547 W. Jackson, postmarked
from Chicago.  He took it home & saved it as he apparently found it amusing.  I
will share it verbatim, underlined/spelled/punctuated as the writer did.  There
was no name or return address:

   "How about a new idea to allow poor people to see our beautiful country
cheaply by selling travel tickets for us to ride freight trains in empty box
cars legally.  Make hobo style of travel available to us.  Why have lots and
lots of empty box cars returning on the rails when people - families, singles,
old people - could be riding in them for a price.  Put up outdoor style
outhouses (toilets) in rail yards where trains stop and we could safely get
off.  At pumps, we could get water.  We'll buy own own food in town stores and
carry it in rucksacks.  Maybe small towns could build small picnic areas near
the railroad yards and camping (tent) areas.  help merica boom still more."

  Shades of Rochelle & other towns on the Burlington (the picnic areas)!

            Merry Christmas!

Gerald

  .

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com