[CBQ] Irish Mail

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Irish Mail
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:35:35 EST
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1260664573; bh=F4aZyljq79sW5zD5dYcIplwJj2SvNB4Aqno8Af2wW5w=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-SENDER:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=j4IyBlykvlkiEEL8i0bmEuFWlhb6Z6tdk22mM7iaMDEON1zz/dynLlFVD7Ylyc6yqu9MmhQWTtt52OB5itLV3gicmX76EkZRNlWDdY9QirrgCu+RPh8oRJ6Yz9g74Wvw
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Jeff,

Yes the "yard" area for the Alley was the original mainline before the
elevation. If you're not a member of the BRHS get signed up as it sounds  like
you missed the issue on the elevation which covers a lot of this and  more.

Keep in mind I think the Irish Mail name stems form the west side line.
Batavia,and Geneva were settled by the hardy Swedes and Norsemen so it didnt
come from those towns.

As to the Alley lets just say I have spent 40 plus years(on and off)  in
terviewing guys who worked this job. I spent a long time on the phone w/John
Schmid who is a BRHS member and old friend who fired the Alley in 1948 after
getting out of the Navy, this past summer and fall. Bob Chick is a former
retired Eola switchmen who was also "griever" and we spent an hour  and 1/2
on the phone recently. My grandfather used to take me down to the  Alley in
the late 50s and early 60s to talk w/his old comrades. Hol Wagner has  been
kind enough to share photos of Alley engines from the 30s and 50s. One even
has my grandfather on the footboard of 509.  I hope someday to submit  an
article. Currently the text is 10 pages with many maps,photos,line
drawings,engine assignments,etc. I still have a few "holes" to fill in. My
grandfather retired off this job so as you can tell, its very special to  me.
Funny
how many things he told me I still remember. I have an artist  orginal  by
Mike Meketti who was a Aurora Div fireman showing the Alley  crew going to
work in 1948. He re-drew it for me in 1975 or so from an original  sketch
note. The first orignal hung in the Eola Yard office for many years until  it
burned down. This is when it was an old coach in the east yard at the  foot
xing.
Russ who chimes in on this list and is a Q,BN and BNSF employee was kind
enough to share West Eola tower train sheets that show the comings and goings
of  the Alley in 1952,under steam no less.
One of my brothers-in-laws works for NI Gas so he's helping with info on
the old gas plant and electric power plant which were the main customers for
the  Alley Job.

Leo Phillipp

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com