Re: [CBQ] Irish Mail

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Irish Mail
From: Kenneth Fleming <kf5632@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 08:37:15 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1260625043; bh=G9EkROhiAbW//5X9BxrQucU9jSBUV1+VrdoQchjSshc=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=KAWa6EVm1Bq23wm4k06aiEt6WqYCOtW8F22OfwtVXHdDHJfl9bTbhczgnR1Tu3f9te0r5EEzXoXwKy65ZpU9shBTfLGBNkWggoB5IflxY9imIBuV0gaszpUoN0vm5Qf1
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo,

I remember my brother, a Q brakeman, saying that the first Irish Mail crew
back to Eola changed engines and did the Alley Job.  Early on they would
trade an SW for a G engine or vice versa.  I remember a G engine in the
Spring 1954 on the Irish Mail at North Aurora.  I don't remember the engine
number. It was 500 something.  My dad and I used to watch the steam
draglines and pit engines at the gravel pit in North Aurora.  The draglines
were really large and fun to watch (for a little kid). Dad and I would go
anywhere there was steam of any kind operating.  I wished I had had a camera
back then.  As with all pictures, those pictures in the mind fade with
time.  The C.N. & W. came into Aurora up by St. Joe's Hospital.  They had a
turntable there, about where the police station is now.  Don't remember ever
seeing steam there more than a couple of times.  Also remember the C.M. & G.
and the E.J. & E. steam engines running by the playground off Douglas Ave.
The C.M. & G. train was in the morning and the "J" ran in the afternoon.

Ken

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com