[CBQ] Re: Early CB&Q engine lettering

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Early CB&Q engine lettering
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 17:45:19 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1257011159; bh=IvzTc0ladAWHMH7PUjUscLB6yCo6aoBcvF1kCt8stMs=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=t1V4NXSZb1h0LZZuVIqLy9BFFBMoJgJ54DMq445C4p+RxiDK6MkUNlfBTZ7oD35TxyiIzaHcEy8p5aSHDoq2jwIRfeydIL7pvb2KL1h6xGsoiRQcobzetdMWTLmSDcnG
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Thank you very much for this information, Pat.

I'm not sure it necessarily follows that all these changes were system-wide,
although you may well be right. The 1928 scheme I'd agree almost certainly was
system-wide,* but by then the three roads were for practical purposes one
system (and had been since 1908). But as you point out, the C&S-FW&DC (and
those two were, in effect, one road) had adopted the aluminum leaf/paint scheme
in 1906, two years before the CB&Q purchased them. So if the parent CB&Q was
using aluminum lettering at the time they absorbed The Colorado Road and The
Denver, it would have been by coincidence, since (I'm guessing) the Q probably
established its own scheme in 1904, at the time of the big re-numbering and
re-classification.

I pore over old Otto Perry b&w photos from the 1920s, and it might as well be
anyone's guess: the lettering all looks white!

Again, thanks for your reply.
Jonathan

*Ed Fulcomer's C&S (southern division) color pictorial has a couple late photos
showing 2-8-0s 602 and 605 with either white or aluminum numbers/letters.
However, these engines were in joint-line service in switcher service in Denver
, lettered for C&S/AT&SF.