[CBQ] Re: Q Coaling and sanding towers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Q Coaling and sanding towers
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 01:33:57 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1256088838; bh=QjVMqGK7xUQpwjLF2dx+cElmpx1BvquEl3YAefjEHZU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Oz6AibkdaOi4CFJJWeG5TR16hchZeXIquFyucuB2gqGRq6SR/GpTS0GaABI8M17zYB21MfBVp6Rre17cNh7RCltk2KpT8ASNNN8evtPjREn8tdNk6nxtZixWRtYe78gJ
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi Verlin -

Are you modeling a specific 'station'? or are you looking for more general info
on paint colors for coal and sand houses? The reason I ask is that there are
plenty of photos showing coaling stations painted in red oxide as well as in
black - wooden ones anyway. Don't know if yours is wood, concrete, or one of
the steel Ogle ones, nor what era you model. My guess would be that use of
black paint came in relatively late and thatup through around WWII, pretty much
all the wooden service buildings were painted with red lead paint.

There's to be a BRHS Bulletin on these buildings, I believe, so perhaps the
author will provide a more authoritative answer.

Are you scratch building the sand house etc? If so, where did you find plans?
If you're using a kit or ready-built model, which one(s)? I know there have
been several good, accurate models of CB&Q coaling towers and water tanks. But
I've never known what to do for a sand house/tower.

Good luck with your project!

Jonathan