Re: [CBQ] Abandoned railroad trestles

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Abandoned railroad trestles
From: Bob Webber <cz17@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:22:53 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1249409960; bh=dfEzBBEd2gNPNcvlVdW8GrIfr63E+HYqYnV01R8gO3k=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:References:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=rbKW2pM1n6JkmkLhZtS4kbOyKOL126/T3GFTJt8zcgAbAxkHMuifnaO/USkJVTTu5sCoWpUBnPSnK+Boh9VbMs1baW8Ubzrn2JyBG5w4WBK3yRaBMt3tqxCUF76KpFnW
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
It even goes further.  If you leave pilings up, someone *WILL* put
plywood down and assume they can drive across on their bikes.  The
next person sees the plywood (or old ties, or?) and assumes he can
drive his motorcycle across.  The next one sees the "bridge" and
leaps to the conclusion that since this appears to be a road - it is
graded, after all - then the bridge should be perfectly fine for his
4 wheeler (ATV).  The next person sees the 4 wheeler cross, figures
his 4x4 Ford 350 can cross.  There sits a 2 and a half ton vehicle
impaled on piles.

Better to remove all doubt.  If the railroad leaves the pilings, and
someone "builds" a bridge, it is assumed to be a viable
crossing.  And, given the "deep pockets" laws on the books for
liability, that means the railroad is responsible.   A pile trestle
abandoned, and not bridged becomes an attractive nuisance.  That
attraction breeds lawsuits.

If you think this is ludicrous, you are, in many ways, right.  But -
the originating railroad (C&NW) and successors (UP) have been held
accountable for using rubber tiling (which becomes slippery when wet)
in 50 year old gallery cars.  So,  the railroad tends to make things
unusable once they no longer use them.