Re: [CBQ] Vacations

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Vacations
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 23:45:48 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1242013633; bh=kaRB+6pSdWL2Cn2eQNz4nkUy8Ve3FMybviuiN1vTlnY=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:X-AOL-IP:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:X-Spam-Flag:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=TvijjtDA2JVzUMHQF0rfHdXldAtXo0+F4x6QszbxxAPwHafm5cYbSMQal5mTMHSRoBOg4IJcCxRLb+Iup7KeBEURQ/PJhoIRFa5DjoezAxOCkaP2cpVZEzTCiIvhnUb7
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo et al

Here's an example of the 6 day job with a five day crew....

I assume that this arrangement began in 1948, but I don't know for sure, but it
was in effect in? 1956.

The Ravenna, NE switch engine was manned by train crew members on the Lincoln
Division seniority roster.? The job worked 1:00am-9:00am.? The trainmen? on the
job worked six days for five weeks, then took 5 days off.? This was done one
man at a time so an extra board brakeman was "stuck" on this job for three
weeks.?? It was a lousy job...No OT and all night work.? The only OT you got
was if a train was "called in" within 30 minutes of quitting time for the
switcher they had to hold you over to change his waycar...Thinking back it must
have been before they began to pool the waycars on the LIncoln Division which I
thought had started before 1956, but maybe not, otherwise there would not have
been a need to change w/c's at Ravenna.

I got "forced" on the job one week summer 1956 and two weeks summer 57.? Here I
was trying to make as much money as possible for the summer and the extra board
was the place to be, but once you got forced on this kind of a job you had to
stay with it until everybody had his days off.??

I assume that this was a "local agreement" saving?the company OT and giving the
trainmen?essentially a week off every five weeks.?

I stayed in an old typical railroad town hotel with no A/C and nothing to do
after getting a few hours sleep.

I assume that there were other similar arrangments over the system.? Maybe
somebody else will comment.

Another example along the same lines.

Prior to 1953 there was a mixed train operating between Nebraska City, NE and
Tecumseh, NE.? on a tri-weekly schedule...West one day and returning east the
next day..A six day job...BTW? I rode the next to last run of the eastbound
with K engine 954 in August 1953.

There was also a mixed train operating between Lincoln and Nebraska City on a
similar Tri-Weekly schedule.? Mon-Wed-Fri east..Tue-Thur-Sat west.

When service between Auburn and Nemaha was stopped after August 1953 the
Lincoln--Neb City train was set up as a five day job operating Lincoln -Shubert
(via Neb city) Mon....Shubert-Lincoln Tue...Lincoln-Neb City turn on Wednesday
and Thur Lincoln-
Shubert, Friday Shubert-Lincoln.

This job had previously been a 6 day job paying a basic day each way which
would make 600 miles each week.? When the arrangement was changed there was?
established a "guarantee" of 600 miles weekly or 120 each day...I think that
you had to work the full five days to get the guarantee.? I only worked this
job once, summer 1956.? We got considerable OT on the outbound trip, but only
100 basic day on the return.? So only the regular guys on the job got the
benefit of 6 days pay for 5 days work.

Pete