Re: [CBQ] SouthEast BRHS Meets?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] SouthEast BRHS Meets?
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:26:49 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1241022416; bh=+bLBqplgQEwi+3QFlnElMr7vjEBN/bXaQhB0isu9Avk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=fq1p9QSF50IfbRBjPJi1LifszYVTD5Bgczm9da/XT0MJUCeQtyA3Dww0r7VoqB7oCZkNNQCFZE1vV30stH4GkKkWvWr2SOeUNsAa96OxgDwAgzEGfzHABfAFfxZXJ/D2
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I've been misquoted.. someone else made the statement attributed to me.   I
haven't been snubbed and don't feel that the guys that have had the reins were
doing anything except trying their best to run the BRHS.  Having been involved
in the leadership of several professional societies, a genealogical group, and
several Model Railroad related clubs, I understand how difficult it is to do
things on a volunteer basis.  I also know that I haven't been in a position to
"step up to the plate" in a elected leadership role to "be part of the
solution, not the problem".

That being said, I must make an observation about the BRHS in general.

The communications leave a great deal to be desired.

For example, I opened my mouth and volunteered to make some artwork for the
upcoming Bulletin on SD units.   Now, I will freely admit, one thing leads to
another and I've been remiss in getting the artwork done.   Income Tax
preparation, trips, paying client work, all conspire to push the project off
the front burner.

However, there has been very little direct communication about the project.
Deadlines?  Time frame?   Context?   Not a great deal of direction as to what
should be done.  Very loosey-goosey.

I think this is part of the problem.   Leadership is not just a matter of
getting people to help.   There has to be communication with them, goals,
vision, dialogue, presssure, praise, goading, sharing, information, with people
who are working together.

I floated the idea of a e-zine for things Burlington.   I did get a volunteer
who has technical skills to step forward.... Tom Johnson.   Dave Sarther,
Gerald Edgar, Bob Webber (two b's) and others have shared their thoughts on the
subject.

I've contacted Elden Gatwood of the PRRH&TS and he advises that any e-zine
should have at minimum six active editors and a year's worth of articles "in
the can" before attempting to go public.   Based on several years of editing a
quarterly 20-page genealogical journal and a monthly NTRAK club newsletter I
agree.... the technical challenge of putting together a quality publication is
enough without having to beat the bushes alone for articles to fill an issue.

So far there haven't been any people identifying themselves as being willing to
serve as one of those editors.... either on a regional or subject matter basis.
Now maybe I didn't state the request clearly enough.   So, I am saying it here
again.   We also need to keep a discussion going on what we'd like to see, or
even to ask questions about "what the heck is an e-zine?"   This somewhat
illustrates what needs to happen in the BRHS in general...

I know that not everyone is computer-savy and that has been a problem in the
past with board members and others involved in key roles in the BRHS.   We
cannot allow a few that by choice do not get "linked up" to grind all
communications to a halt.   I do not worship at the Temple of Computer but use
it as a very powerful tool.  I personally hate the damn things, but make my
living using one.   We need to get more going in the BRHS than the Bulletin and
the Zephyr, even if they were both on time and more frequent.  I think the
internet and e-zines might be part of the solution, especially to attract
younger members to replace natural attrition.

Pick up other RR Historical Society publications and look at the list of people
invovled in them and get a sense of what is going on in their society.... many
have a lot more involvement and activity than we do... and this cannot continue
to be.

Charlie Vlk

Random thought-   maybe the lack of a membership directory may be contributing
to the lethargy in the group.... we could be living in the same neighborhood as
another member, and if we didn't run into them at a train show or hobby shop we
wouldn't know it......
With the internet some of the concerns about privacy may be moot.... and there
must be a way of sharing this information within the society in a way that
doesn't tempt identity theft without resorting to expensive printing and
mailing of a document that will be out of date the moment it is run.