[CBQ] Re: Question on Galesburg

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Question on Galesburg
From: "Bob Campbell" <amtrak347@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:20:32 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1236964854; bh=/OPNExbAPNptyfq1qjgKYgkxbkIVDhV0WqoJNkWTt5s=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=mtv0Pvz1aX+Zt17YtrRcGzM6NyxN+Y2I5fL1Gjcr89tErIc/yMJdBrVeZ5OFrf4fXorMarjAc5iowp1rOZ5r16C83uNbT9A86xFDZeJNquDxfospQyTEW4P070xhnRTE
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "zephyr98072" <glenehaug@...> wrote:

> At Galesburg, after leaving the depot area, did the Quincy Main go over the
> Peoria Passenger Main on a bridge?  The alignment charts seem to show the
> tracks this way.  If so, was the clearance minimal?  There would not have
> been much distance for the two lines to achieve much vertical separation.
>
> Glen Haug

Glen -
What is the date of the alignment chart you're looking at?  To the best of my
knowledge, the Peoria Main and the Quincy Main are pretty much at grade level.
The Quincy Main does rise up higher in elevation to go over an employee
underpass providing access to the roundhouse.  The underpass is still there,
but filled in with earth.  There is a company service road at grade level near
the location of the now closed underpass.  In Russ' alignment chart (1930s) it
shows the Quincy Main west of the roundhouse.  This was later changed (I
believe, in the 1930s revamp of the yard configuration) to an east side routing
around the roundhouse that forms the west leg of the "Peoria Wye" that still
exists today.  The "tail" of the "Peoria Wye" forms the 50-mile Peoria Main.  I
do recall the removal of the "east" leg of the "Peoria Wye" being removed, I
believe before the 1970 merger, and then having to be re-installed after the
increased coal traffic to Peoria, post-merger.  Interesting to note on Russ'
chart the existance of Peoples Traction and the Rock Island Southern interurban
lines.

Bob Campbell
Naperville, IL