[CBQ] Re: Sandwich Diner

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Sandwich Diner
From: "Randall Hicks" <randallhicks@wideopenwest.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:14:28 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert & Maureen" <gamlenz@...> wrote:

> Randall
>
> According to Bill Glick's Passenger Car Roster book, 4438 was a 70
foot
> chair car built in January 1904 by AC&F, as part of the group 4430-
4439,
> later class PC-3.  Some cars in the group were steel sheathed by
Pullman in
> 1924 but not this one.  It was scrapped at Eola on 2 November 1933.
>
> There are photos of 4431 as originally built in Bill Glick's
Passenger Car
> Photo Album, together with photos of the interior of your car
(converted to
> a diner in 1938) - both as originally converted and more recently
with a
> lowered ceiling.
>
> Regards
>
> Rupert Gamlen
> Auckland NZ

Everybody:

Thanks for the info!  A 1904 chair car is much more believable.  I'll
have to find a copy of the Glick book.  I'm not sure what sort of
lowered ceiling there could be, as shown in one of my recent pictures
it looks pretty original.

The car itself is used for lunch service, at least.  The pictures are
only on the side of the car away from the road.  Closed Sunday and
Monday.

Randall