[CBQ] RE: appropriate postings

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] RE: appropriate postings
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:53:59 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Well said Dave.  You & your crew do a VERY fine job of keeping this site on an
even keel.  Like most of us, I receive email from many groups as well as from
many individuals.  Even large commercial sites or national groups with lots of
IT resources have their problems.  Also the nature of email lends itself to
errors.  We do it quickly and certainly far more often than if we were writing
a letter or making a phone call.  The advantages are, in this case, of sharing
Burlington questions or information with an audience of 1000 people instantly
and at no cost.  The downside is that even the most conscientious member will
hit the wrong key at times.

I have never seen any vindictive, 'X' rated or similar problem within this
group so I have to believe we are doing pretty well. I am sure too there are
any number of CB&Q fans who delete some messages without even opening because
the topic, while purely Burlington in content, is not an area of the Q they
follow or pursue.

Bottom line: if we all try to be more careful (I have to remember to check
typos, my large fingers overmatch my keys!) we will continue to have an
excellent site.

Without naming particular RR groups, we do a much better job of avoiding
arguments or going over the deep end on some issues; maybe because like our
favorite RR, we are indeed a cut above the rest!

Gerald

(speaking of computers, one of my favorite RR trivias is this: at the onset of
the computer age, outside the Federal government, especially the Pentagon,
which particular company hosted the most computers?  A major bank?  General
Motors, AT&T? No the answer is Penn Central!  RR's were instantly attracted to
all sorts of data gathering machines & processes going back to typewriters and
then adding machines etc.  CB&Q was a pioneer in several areas and computer
operations were featured in several issues of the Zephyr & Burlington Bulletin
in the 1960' [the CB&Q issued publications of course].  Now that RR's are
riding high again perhaps it's easier to believe there was a time when it was
the largest industry in America.  In 1900 1 out of 6 adults worked for a RR or
a RR supplier or related business!  Consider too there are 4 railroads on a
Monopoly Board - no airlines, trucking companies or Interstate hwys)