Re: [CBQ] Why didn't Silver Inn and Silver Manor go to Amtrak?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Why didn't Silver Inn and Silver Manor go to Amtrak?
From: "Russ Strodtz" <borneo@19main.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:47:24 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I can say that any Transportation, Rail,Bridge,Truck,Airplane,
whatever is always presented as "Deferred Maintenance". From the
day it was brand new it gets to break and where out. It will
only be done at the most it needs to fix in order to use it
enough to get by.

As an example a bridge like the CB&Q/BN/BNSF uses at Burlington IA.
There has been deferred maintenance from back in the 50s and 60s
and they still keep running but the numbers keep those deferred
dollars to almost involve enough money to pay a new bridge.

Just last month Minnesota had to stop anyone from using a bridge
from 1941 to use at Winona MN. It was no longer to be safe to use.
Do you think they fixed everything? Of course not, no money or time
could be done at that point. If you recall from 2007 they lost a
bridge at Minneapolis that was being both being used and fixing.
The whole thing broke. Now they need to build a new one. That money
will take more money and will have less to spend at other places.

There is not enough Transportation money to not spend on "Deferred
Maintenance".

Russ