Re: [CBQ] CB&Q ORER's on disc

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q ORER's on disc
From: "Ed Carroll" <ed.carroll@heartland.edu>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 19:43:19 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I trust your judgement on the quality and would be interested in
purchasing such a set of ORERs discs.

Edward V. Carroll
Professor of History
Heartland Community College
1500 W. Raab Road
Normal IL 61761

(309) 268-8582
FAX (309) 268-7991

>>> "Rupert & Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz> 06/07/08 5:00 PM >>>
During my research to create a CB&Q Freight Car Roster, a large number
of very generous people provided me with the CB&Q pages from ORER's, and
I ended up with at least one issue for almost every year from 1885 to
1970.  Now that the Roster is finished (to be published by the BRHS in
due course), I thought of putting the ORER pages onto discs for sale by
the Society.

It is still early days but I envision perhaps two discs - 1885 to 1935
and 1925-1970 - with an overlap to cover the middle years. The discs
would include the subsidiaries until they disappeared during 1904-9,
together with the various C&S, FW&D, BREX, BTL, etc. pages that I
collected. The early years also included passenger equipment details.

The big problem is quality. The pages were variously photocopied,
scanned and photographed, using different resolutions and standards,
with varying results. The books themselves were not designed to be
scanned or photocopied (and become fragile with age) and getting a good
copy without removing the pages was almost impossible.  Some of the
copies I received were exhibition quality, others were barely readable.
I've started cleaning and repairing the pages but some will always be
blurred or very dark. The number of cars in a number group (being listed
at the edge of the page) often requires replacement and in some cases,
it has been necessary to totally reconstruct the page using the next or
previous issues.  This is an extremely slow process (two evenings work
for a single page reconstruction) and some pages will never be great
although they are more than adequate for research purposes.

Am I wasting my time?  Given that the quality will never be perfect,
will there be a demand for the end product?  Would you buy the disc if
it was available?

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ